MORE ABOUT DORSTONE CHURCH
During one of the rebuildings a tomb, thought to be that of Johannes de Brito, was accidentally broken into and accompanying the bones of a tall man were an ancient pewter Chalice and Paten together with fragments of silver thread.
The ancient church was taken down in 1827 and a poor structure, in the old church warden style, was substituted, this new church being dedicated to Saint Faith. This church was removed some 50 years later and a new one erected in 1889, the new building being designed by Messrs. Nicholson & Son of Hereford as nearly as possible on the lines of the old church. Some items were retained including the four bells, three from the 17th century and one from the 16th. The present church consists of a Chancel, nave, South Porch and a Western Tower which retains the 13th century tower arch. Examples of the old church have been preserved and inserted in the Chancel.
It is believed that behind the date stone in the east wall of the church is a glass bottle containing one of each of the coins in circulation in 1889. Below the foundation stone of our church there is also a glass bottle containing coins in circulation during 1898, the year the foundation stone was laid. Another interesting point is that the two churches have associations with Archbishops of Canterbury. St Faith`s, Dorstone appears to have originated due to the murder of an Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas a Becket, whilst Robert Runcie is an "old boy" of St Faith`s, Crosby.